Developed in 2010 with initial funding from the Ontario Region of Citizenship and Immigration Canada and subsequent support from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, LearnIT2teach provides online Moodle-based learner courseware to support blended learning, while training teachers in its use and adaptation for their own purposes.
New Language Solutions plays a pivotal role in this initiative’s success by:
- developing and continually improving the LearnIT2teach courseware;
- providing language educator accredited training and professional development;
- offering Canadian-centric blended resources and delivery tools that combines traditional face-to-face classroom methods with computer-mediated activities;
- training language educators to engage newcomer clients by using open-source learning technologies; and
- hosting local Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) courses and providing teacher training and just in time support.
Ultimately, New Language Solutions is a service provider to other service providers in the sector, consisting of around 375 colleges, school boards and community organizations, as well as their instructors and managers. Service providers that embrace a blended delivery model using this LINC courseware are better able to meet the needs of their clients.
Visit the LearnIT2teach website at: www.learnit2teach.ca.
Edulinc provides individual interactive LINC course activities associated with listening, speaking, reading and writing, while offering opportunities for collaboration and discussion. Its structure, combined with the variety in course activities and tools, encourages active learning where learners control the pace and type of learning. The LINC courseware adapts to special needs clients and different learning preferences. A blended approach to program delivery enables service providers to reach clients who otherwise cannot participate in programming.
Visit the Edulinc website at: www.edulinc.org
Onyxon.ca is a partnership with the Toronto Cathole District School Board (TCDSB) to create e-learning courseware for the ESL and FLS programs of the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services. This technology-enhanced language learning (TELL) project encompasses social communication that expands upon language learning to make possible communities of practice among newcomers and their construction of personalized learning networks.